Monday, February 16, 2009

What we've got here...is failure to communicate


Hello,

First and foremost, I want to say thank you to everyone who still comes here to see if there's anything new. The tracker thingiee shows there's still a couple of folks out there who still come by.


So I've been around. I have associated myself with a motorcycle club (MC) who has been gracious enough to befriend me. For allot of years I wanted to see what it's like to be a part of a true brotherhood. I'm not talking about the local HOG riders or the church riders club, but a true, world-wide-3 piece-earn your colors type of club.


Before I go further, let me state that I am not "in" the club. I have simply been invited to their clubhouse on several occasions. I have had a chance to "hang out" and enjoy some good company and see some of the "sights" that happen late on a weekend night. Let me also state that I have not seen one illegal action take place. I've seen just about every stereotypical biker scene play out, but I have NOT seen any drugs, guns or rapes.


This whole fascination with the club culture started for me back in the mid 70's while on a trip from MS to TX to visit my relatives. There was a group of Hells Angels that passed our car. I remember looking out the back window as they approached us and my mom saying to wave at them as they passed. I remember that most of the guys didn't wave back (their old ladies did) but the dudes smiled, and their smiles spoke to me. I remember the smell of the exhaust after they rumbled past us filled our car. To this day, when I get close to an old shovel head engine, that smell takes me back to that day.


Well I don't think I have what it takes to prospect with this club, so I will just continue to "hang around" as long as they let me. On a related note, I have found an old Shovel head (a 1980 FLH) that I sold years ago. The guy I sold it to has agreed to sell it back to me. I had to sell this old scooter because I needed the money. He always knew that I didn't really want to sell it, so because he's getting to old to ride, he's going to let me have her for the same price that I sold her to him for (you gotta love real bikers). The bike is worth double what I'm going to give for it. I'll post pics of my baby once I get her back...


Again, I want to thank everyone who has been checking in on me. I'm back now...


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back, Paul!!!

Sometimes is really is special to hang out with the club guys ... even if you don't prospect. It's just hard to beat the company, and there's always something fun to do.
Congratulations on getting your old ride back. On a side note, I found an old Wide Glide here in Indy at a great price. The FXWG is my ride of choice, btw. Marti probably would have let me buy it if we didn't have so many more important things we want to do. Still, I remember the sound, the sights and the freedom that came with "airing my brain". So whenever I see one for sale, the wheels automatically start turning...

Anonymous said...

Okay.. first the word verification is "deadies" --- reminded me of dead heads. lol

GREAT to see ya blog Paul! I think its great that there is a place you can go and hang with the guys. There are a couple different groups of guys that Solie hangs with.

Sometimes, I am even asked to join in with the guys (sometimes I'm the only woman there). At first, I didn't want to join in because I didn't want to invade that "guy" thing but they all assured me it was okay. I feel special when I'm included like that. I'm not sure why they include me sometimes, maybe because I enjoy hanging around them, listening to them shoot the breeze.

You've been missed but totally think its cool you have a place to hang with the guys.

That dude Paul said...

Solie and Martha,
Thank you both for stopping in.

Solie, I know what you mean about the Wide Glide being the ride of choice. I love that one too. My current ride is an 07 Wide Glide. Truth be told though, I think I'm getting up in age and maybe a bagger would better suit me. So...once I get the shovelhead back and running right, I will probably sell the Wide Glide and get me some type of a touring bike.

Martha, It's great to hear from you also. I have met some of the most down to earth ladies over the past month. Some of them make me blush (and they love teasing me when I blush), but they really are cool ladies.

Y'all take care and have a wonderful week.

MomThatsNuts said...

HUGGGGG

I dont care if you are a biker type wanna be I missed you!!

Mom

MomThatsNuts said...

Paul (and anyone else) *thanks Jinx* remember to email me and get PERMISSION to read my blog..if you wanna I mean, Im not gonna MAKE you...

Mom

Momthatsnuts@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I'm with mom, I had to make a private blog too.

Paul, its funny but when I visit Solie at work (all guys there), they try to get my goat most of the time but I found that if just give it back, they love it. lol

I think the last time I was there, I blew their mind that I actually knew about "bike week". LOL

MomThatsNuts said...

Thank you Paul. He is on leave this weekend too and he is bored! He would love to talk to you that would be so cool...I will email you his phone number!!!

Mom

VoteNovember2008 said...

Paul, don't ever think that I haven't been thinking of you. Sometimes I "drop out" too! I understand that completely, no need to explain! Just have fun, be safe and check in from time to time. VN8

MomThatsNuts said...

Hey Paul....

Fort Drum New York for Cadet...did you go there ever??? They deploy every 5 months. Its some sort of mountian something????

Mom

MomThatsNuts said...

PAUL....

he is going to be part of the 10th mountian division. GUESS WHAT...they deploy to Afghanistan in AUGUST. My 18 year old baby boy will DEPLOY..I mean I expected him to deploy, but I thought he would have more time. AKKKKKKKKKKK

mom