Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Hump day

What's left of the day is beginning to slip away. The sky is slate grey and my attitude is reflecting the bland weather. I just couldn't get in synch with the world today. I was even too tired to go to the drum store after work to talk with Chris.

If you ever get to Wichita Falls TX, I suggest stopping by Tracey Music and chatting with the manager Chris. He is an awesome drummer, drum instructor, and an even more awesome human being. His thoughts on life and his intuitive nature make him a very unique person.

I talked to my mom today and she told me that my dad is recovering well from throat surgery to correct sleep apnia. I really glad dad is recovering quickly.

I have got to shake this lazy negative vibe I'm feeling. I haven't had the energy or motivation to go play my drums in a week. I don't have any reason to bitch and moan. My wife and kids are healthy and the bill collectors aren't knocking at my door. I think some of it is that I'm looking 40 in the eye and I'm realizing that I didn't do a lot of things when I was younger and now I'm trying to do what I can to try to play catch up. I remember hearing older people say something like that when I was younger and I thought they were full of shit. Now I understand... Or maybe I'm full of shit..

1 comment:

Phil said...

Me again! I guess those big number changes (30, 40, 50, 60) are milestones. I always felt rather good about them myself. I'm pulling for 50, then 60. I don't quite know what is in store for me with my medical stuff that is going on. I usually manage to drag my self out of bed and kayak at 5:30 most mornings. I also am lucky enough to have an above ground pool, so I swim after kayaking and swim after work and swim after dinner (you see where this is going?) and the best is floating under the stars at night.

Not to be smug or anything, but the other week I realized this:
"If it weren't for cancer, I'd say I have the perfect life. If it weren't for cancer, would I even realize this?"
and unfortunatly, my answer a year and a half ago would be no, I didn't realize that I have a great wife and two fantastic boys.

Don't wait to get sick or have something else happen to find this out. Also, maybe it's the old 'mid-life crisis' stuff too.