Sunday, September 04, 2005

No rest for the weary

I'm still half asleep as I'm writing this.....I laid down about 2:00pm today for a nap. My wife went to tan and go grocery shopping, the kids were being quiet and watching a movie and I was curled up in the bed getting some much needed mental and physical rest.

About 30 minutes ago the phone rang and in my semi-conscious state I managed to answer it. I heard a females soft voice address me by my rank and last name. I thought maybe I was dreaming. This is Sunday and it's a 3 day weekend, so I wouldn't be getting a call like this. That's it... I must be dreaming. I asked her to repeat herself because I was just waking up.


Apparently she had me on speaker phone because I heard a couple of people in the background chuckling along with her. She repeated herself and told me to get in touch with several young Airmen in my shop and for us to report to a meeting tonight at 6:00pm. She mentioned something about us deploying to New Orleans.

That's about all I know now. It's been a long time since this old sarge has had to pack his shit in a hurry and hit the road. I'm kind of excited but at the same time I'm concerned about taking these young "kids" with me. The ones selected are relatively new and are not very seasoned. I'll post more tonight.

4 comments:

Ms. Eva said...

Good Luck Paul!

My husband used to do "accident recovery" in the Atlantic when he was in the USAF . . . which sometimes meant retrieving bodies.
Stay Strong.

Wendy said...

Yep, I had a feeling...You have an amazing opportunity to change people's lives and restore dignity.
Awesome! I'll be thinking of you and hopefully once they restore communications you can keep a journal for us. :)

MomThatsNuts said...

You will do good and get to help other people...make sure to give us the word if you go,,,and when you get back...God Speed....I will miss you~~

Mom

ps I wont tell your sgt about your Kiefer thing....lol

Phil said...

From what I've heard it's a pretty frightening scene down there. Please do keep us posted.