Friday, January 01, 2010
My friend Perri's amazing purple hull pea recipe
One pound of frozen purple hull (black eye) peas makes 6 servings
1. Fry 4 strips of thick cut peppered bacon. Remove and cut/crumble to size you like.
2. Chop about 1 cup of yellow onion
3. Finely chop about 1/2 tblsp of fresh Rosemary
4. Open small can of Southwestern corn (or shoe peg)
5. Cook purple hull peas (black eyed) according to their directions.
Add cooked bacon pieces, onion and corn to cast iron skillet on med heat. Once mixed, add peas and Rosemary. Use sea salt (to taste) and simmer on low for about 15 minutes.
This dish makes a great hearty cold weather meal. It's filling without making you feel bloated.